Saturday, April 14, 2012

Things Fall Apart 1

When we first started reading this, I was discouraged by how long it was and I wan't sure if I would like the story.  Since I'm not finished with it yet, I can't say for sure whether I like it or not.  For me, the first chapter or two were difficult to get into.  I'm not really sure how to feel about Okonkwo either.  I understand why he wouldn't want to be anything like his father, but the way he treats is family is very sad.  I don't think he's completely bad though.  I think that in the second part we might get to see his feelings.  The introduction of Ikemefuna was nice too.  He was a good addition to the family.  He was very helpful to Nwoye, who really needed the extra attention since his father only paid attention to him when he was criticizing or beating him.  I was very upset that they killed Ikemefuna.  I'm curious to see what will happen to Okonkwo in part 2 now that he has fled his home.

No comments:

Post a Comment